The much anticipated Carolina vs Duke games is tonight. The cool folks at TarHeelBlue.com have written a neat article with a bunch of statistics and trivia about the all-time series between Carolina and Duke. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Carolina leads the all-time series with Duke, 126-96.
- Overall, Duke has won 16 of the last 21 games in the series.
- Carolina and Duke have accounted for 31 of the ACC’s 53 Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament championships.
- Carolina and Duke are No. 1 and 2 all-time in the ACC in wins, ACC regular-season wins, ACC Tournament wins and NCAA Tournament wins.
- Carolina has won the ACC regular-season title 24 times, including in 2004-05. The Blue Devils are second with 18 regular-season crowns.
I think one of the most telling bits of trivia there is that second item on my list above. My calculations says there have been 18 regular-season match ups since Dean Smith retired and I can recall a couple of post-season meetings also. Let’s leave out the various tournament games for simplicity sake, which roughly means that the pre-Bill Guthridge Tarheels are 121-80 against Duke all-time. Now add back in the recent Roy Williams years (he’s 3-4 against Duke since returning to Carolina as head coach), and you have a record of 124-84. I threw all those numbers out there strictly for the fact to point at the UNC has been mediocre at best since Smith’s retirement, but is improving since Roy’s coming to Chapel Hill a couple seasons ago.
I’m looking forward to the game (33 minutes until tipoff!), but unfortunately will miss the end of it due to church activities. Hopefully my faithfulness and dedication will be rewarded! After all, we all know God is a Carolina fan – just look at the sky on a sunny day!